The Arthritis Toolkit
People with arthritis can live a healthy life by actively managing the physical and emotional problems that come with their disease. The Arthritis Toolkit does not provide cures or miracles. Most types of arthritis cannot be cured. Living a healthy life with a chronic disease is possible with good self-management.
The Kit includes the basic building blocks for each individual to use in constructing a personal approach to the management of the disease through exercise, pain management, and relaxation. It encourages goal-setting, action-planning, proactive thinking and acting ahead. Each Kit contains the following resources:
- The Arthritis Helpbook
- Information Sheets briefly describing common problems and helpful solutions
- Self-Test that helps individuals identify the elements and set priorities for a personal self-management plan
- Action Plan description with instruction and examples for developing a unique plan
- Exercise Action Plan with hints and instruction on use of the other exercise and activity materials
- Relaxation CD and Exercise CDs
- All in one self-contained kit to which the individual can add their own materials
These are the elements that can help individuals design an individualized program to restore some degree of control over the effects of the disease on the body and activities. It is designed as a flexible set of elements that allows the individual, along with advice from a medical professional, to build a program that is uniquely helpful and that can be modified and expanded to suit the individual’s needs.
Contact the Arthritis Community Services (Northwest Regional Arthritis Center)
to check out The Arthritis Toolkit today.
Contact your local Area Agency on Aging Senior Center
or Human Environmental Sciences Extension office.
Toolkits are available to check out.
After completing the program, individuals may return the toolkit
or choose to purchase the materials for $25.00.